The Williamstown Film Society has been around for ever, or so it seems. It began life as the Williamstown High School Ex-Students' Association Film Group, in 1949. It became the Williamstown Film Society in the mid-1950s but by decade's end it had closed. 1996 saw it re-formed and here we still are. Screening venues have been various rooms of the Williamstown Town Hall, the Mechanics' Institute in Electra Street and the infamous Willy's Coffee House at St. Johns Uniting Church, also in Electra Street, opposite the Mechanics. Our current, temporary home is the Council Chamber, upstairs at the Williamstown Town Hall. (WFS history is courtesy of John Turner's publication
The History of Australian Film Societies)Screenings:
We watch our movies on the last Wednesday of each month, from January to November (we let you have a break for Christmas).
Screenings commence at 7:30pm
We often show a short then break for a cuppa and a chat, then screen the feature.
Tea, Coffee and something sweet (themed with our movie) are provided at screenings - gold coin donation.
A lucky door prize is given away at each screening.
We also wait until the credits finish before turning on the lights. Then the conversations begin...Access:
The Council Chamber is upstairs, at the front of the Williamstown Town Hall.
There is a lift near the entrance to the library. There are also stairs.
Ample parking off Ferguson Street next to the Town Hall and also behind the hall/library (also known as the Cole's car park).Membership Fees:
Full Year: Single - $30 Couple - $45
3 Months: Single - $10 Couple - $15Contact:
Michael Slee, President WFS